Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day Eight Report - First Week Breakdown

One week down, three and change to go.

I'm happy to announce I've ended the first week of Create / Consume on target for my goal. Not only that, but it wasn't a torturous experience at all, and I was still able to spend plenty of time enjoying myself.

Let's look at the stats, shall we?


22 hours and 22 minutes of creation to 16 hours and 40 minutes of consumption. That's a 57% to 43% ratio for the week, in favor of creation. If you compare that to my control week from before C/C started, that's a fairly big improvement. The ratio was even better before two days ago, when I decided to indulge in a 4 and a half hour marathon of Louie S2 with a friend. That was some high quality consumption my friends. Well worth the hit I took on my numbers for the week.

Let's take a look at my creation log for the week:


Not a lot of surprises for me in what I wound up choosing to work on. I got my usual 8 hours of writing in (if you count blogging along with straight up writing), along with my two performances (improv and a storytelling show) of the week. I managed to finish an entire book on memoir writing and publishing over the course of the week (that's the research bar you see), and I honestly can't remember the last time I finished a book in such a short span of time. And lastly, I worked on the card game I'm designing for a fair chunk of time. Both that and the book I read served as good 'small chunk' creations whenever I had a smaller window of time or was simply not in the mood to do any writing.

Next week I plan on upping my writing significantly if possible. I'm going to use whatever free time I can to work on some revisions of some pieces I've written first drafts of that have since been gathering dust.

And lastly, let's look at consumptions:


The 8 hours and 33 minutes of television seen here taking up half the graph is about 1/3 of a season of Breaking Bad and about 3/4 of a season of Louie. All deliberate choices I chose to partake in after several hours of work (and including, as I mentioned before, one full night indulgence).

Other than about a half hour of Mario Kart Wii that I played with a friend, the other three hours is time spent playing my addictive iPhone games - specifically the ones that taunt me with reminding me it's my turn to play (Words/Scramble with Friends, Hero Academy, Draw Something). If I was in a pinch, I would just remove these games for the month to remove the temptation entirely. Three hours over the course of the week, spread out in 10 minute chunks is probably still a little high for my liking, but I recognize that this is definitely still cutting back significantly. And my internet time is waaaaayyyyyy down compared to week's past, but I'm also sure I can do better. I'll aim to cut back even further next week - perhaps aiming to limit consumption to under 10 hours total for the entire week. 

I might also try to play around with some miscellaneous creations this week to mix things up. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Thanks for reading.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment